Ladeda Valentine’s Day. Done for Tofu Girls.
I am super excited to announce Blood Root, a new issue-based comic anthology series from Sawdust Press.
Blood Root #1, coming in July, will feature Tara Abbamondi(Puddles, The Stolen Lovelight), Drew Rausch and Jocelyn Gajeway(Sullengrey, My Blacks Don’t Match), and James Neish(Marie and Jeanne). Each issue will be feature somewhere between 3-5 stories.
At its heart, Blood Root is just the floppy anthology comic I want to read - a bunch of strange little stories with amazing art and a diverse range of characters. Blood Root will contain short comics about ghost stories, man made myths, moody psychological horror and fantasy, and personal stories about strange happenings. It will be distributed in print, as well as for free online.
Thank you for supporting Sawdust Press thus far! I am incredibly excited to share Tara, Drew, Jocelyn and James’ work with you - they are amongst my favourite artists and writers, and I am thrilled to launch this anthology with them.
Read on, if you are interested in submitting to future issues of Blood Root(Sawdust Press pays artists and writers!) -
I’m accepting comic pitches from complete creative teams for future issues of Blood Root on a rolling basis(If I like your work, and think it’ll fit the anthology well, I’ll schedule you in).
Blood Root pays a flat rate of $500 for each story, for non-exclusive print and web rights.
In your pitch, please include the following.
- Title of your work.
- Estimated number of pages.
- Summary, and preferably a rough page breakdown.
- Comic work samples(of both writing and sequential art).
- Whether your work will be in black and white or colour.
- When can you finish this work?
Below are the specifications that your story should plan to meet.
- A minimum of 6 pages. There is no maximum, but realistically, anything over 20 pages is probably a bit too long.
- The final trim size for the issues are 6”x9”
- Black and white, or colour.
Below are the preferences for the sort of stories I’m looking for.
- Strange and unsettling(not necessarily “sad”!). I love supernatural and mythological elements, especially set in painfully ordinary settings. I love ghost stories. I love shoegazey characters and indeterminate endings. I love cats. I love food. I love a lot of things, really.
- I am specifically striving for a diverse representation of cultures, people, and human relationships. Queer and feminist pitches, especially intersectional ones, are very welcome.
Pitches should be emailed to email@example.com.
Shing’s awesome, and you guys should all make great comics with her.
Newer version of my bunnydeer, and a trade with needlefelter/illustrator, akanekun.
Guys gojowind is such an awesome plushie maker. I would’ve picked up one of her pre-existing bunnydeers but wanted to mori-nerd the hell out. Go check out her stuff!
Another last minute random contest entry on neopets. Me and deadlines need to be better friends this year.
8PM EST / 5PM PST
Pre-Order and Additional Merch Available at WE LOVE FINE
If I have any leftover from Anime Los Angeles then yes; otherwise I really don’t know if I’ll be making more of these beyond that show. Thanks for asking!
Aw, thank you! And congrats as well, I hope you have lots of fun with it! ^-^
There are a lot of youtube videos that walk you through the process of needle felting, my favorite channel is amuusejp. Link
It seems that Japanese-based kits by hamanaka are more “loose” (as in you don’t need to start from a super tightly wrapped shape) while English-based kits emphasize the benefits of starting from a tighter beginning. I’ve tried both and there are pros and cons to each version, so this is something you’ll have to experiment with on your own.
Finally, just relax and have fun! I still manage stab myself with every project I make (after four years of needle felting), still need to make drastic adjustments to shapes halfway through, still make plenty of mistakes so don’t worry about getting it “right” the first, second or tenth time through. All it takes is some patience and perseverance and you’ll be on your way. ^-^ Hope that helps!